Instructional Linux Servers
Connect via SSH to: ugclinux.cs.cornell.edu
- Use your Cornell NetID and password to login
- Accessible from Cornell networks (such as RedRover) or Cornell VPN.
- Your Linux home directory is accessible from any of the above Linux hosts.
- Students should copy or delete their files in home directories at the end of each academic year.
- Submit a helpdesk ticket if you need assistance.
- Most applications are installed in /bin, /usr/bin, /usr/local/bin, and /usr/X11R6/bin.
- Additional applications may be installed per request in /usr/local/bin
- Note that we will only accept software installation requests related to coursework or projects.
- You may use the following commands to add additional application path to your default path:
PATH=/usr/local/smlnj/bin:$PATH; export PATH
- Default shell is /bin/bash.
- If a different default shell is required for course work, please contact us.
The following user resource limits are in effect on UGC Lab Linux machines:
- cputime 12 hours
- memoryuse 1 GB
- ‘ulimit -a’ will display your resource limits.
- If your jobs need longer cputime, you can set your resource limit accordingly in your .bashrc
- Reconnect to get the new parameters in effect.
Important Note: The UGCLinux servers were upgraded in August 2020. If you’ve connected to them before that you may now receive an error like this:
To resolve the error, edit the file on your local system that it lists (typically /<username>/.ssh/known_hosts) to remove the entry for ugclinux.cs.cornell.edu.