Whether you take your computer home, use a laptop to go back and forth, are on the road, or connect from a personal device; the below information will assist you in getting the most out of your Remote or Hybrid work scenario.
Before You Leave
Prior to your departure, please contact your IT support staff to make sure you have the following preparations in place.
- Check with your supervisor for you unit’s policy on taking devices home
- Per Cornell Policy 5.10, devices used to access Cornell resources must be secure
- Per Cornell Policy 5.1, you are the custodian responsible for all Cornell data on any computer you use
- Please review the IT@Cornell work from home security policies found here: IT@Cornell -Work from Home
- Software Updates: Know how to update your device
Two Factor Authentication
- Make sure your two-factor authentication is set up by following the directions here
- If using “Call Me” for verification, set where you wish to receive the call
- We recommend that you set up at least two methods, in case your first choice is unavailable
- These instructions will enable your device to connect to campus resources from off-site: VPN
- Microsoft Remote Desktop can be used to connect to your on campus computer from your personal or remote device. Contact the ITSG to make sure it is configured.
- Bookmarks: Set up bookmarks on your remote device for easy access to campus resources.
- Phone Forwarding: Ithaca Phones (Forwarding, Ring to Cell); Tech Campus Phones
- File Shares and other resources are “mapped” on your device. Mapped network drives should work even if they appear to be disconnected.
Working remotely generally falls into 3 scenarios:
Work Laptop Back and Forth
- Please consider taking your laptop with you every time you leave campus to ensure access
- Log in to laptop as usual
- At home, connect to VPN
- After connecting to VPN, mapped network drives should work even if they appear to be disconnected.
Connect to Campus Computer from Another Device
- Contact ITSG to configure the campus and remote computers for Remote Desktop Protocol
- At home, connect to VPN
- Run Remote Desktop Connection
- Enter the computer address supplied by ITSG, Click Connect
- When prompted, enter username in this format: email@example.com
- Accept any follow-up messages
Connect to Cornell Resources from a Remote Device
- From the remote device, connect to VPN
- After connecting to VPN, access bookmarked sites, terminal servers (see below), and other resources
- CIT Resources: A Summary of IT@Cornell Tools for Working Remotely
- Cornell’s Box for document sharing: https://it.cornell.edu/box
- Cornell G Suite: https://it.cornell.edu/gsuite
- Distance and Remote Teaching: Details on setting up a live interactive event or recorded Zoom based classes Distance/Remote Classes:
- e-mail Access Through Outlook on the Web : http://outlook.cornell.edu
- Microsoft Office: Cornell provides licensed access to install a local version of Microsoft Office on a personal computer.
- Network Speed: optimize your home Network Speed
- Secure Personal Devices: Follow these steps to secure any personal device used to connect to Cornell resources.
- Terminal Servers: For software packages like Filemaker and Spirion it is better to run these software packages on campus. Directions for using the Terminal Server.
- Word, Excel, PowerPoint in the cloud: https://www.office.com
- Zoom Video Conferencing for meetings: https://it.cornell.edu/zoom
Returning to Campus
If you have been away from campus for an extended period please take the below steps before your return:
- Run Updates: Returning to campus without updates can cause the computer to update automatically, taking a long time and forcing multiple reboots.
- Network Registration: You may need to re-register your device when you bring it on campus.
- Printer Update: The print server was upgraded in summer 2021. If your device has not been on campus since then you will need to re-add your printers by following these directions: Ithaca Printing and Tech Campus Printing.
- Contact IT to schedule a time to go over your needs and return time frame.