Hiring managers should follow the onboarding guidelines set out by their units in conjunction with their local HR contact.
In order to ensure that a new hire’s IT needs are met, please provide as much of the the below information when possible:
Computer Requests: Due to the lead time needed in re-imaging existing computers and procuring new devices (particularly non-standard configurations) it is useful to submit computer change requests as soon as possible.
The process to order new computers can take several weeks. Please submit such a request at least 20 business days prior to the target arrival date (or as soon as the open position is posted)
- IT staff can review the condition of the vacated computer to help determine if it should be replaced.
- IT staff can assist in creating a quote for a new computer order, and setting it up when it arrives.
- The final setup of the new/existing computer can take place once the NetID of the new hire is submitted.
New Hire Notification: please provide the below information as soon as a new hire is submitted to HR.
- Name (nickname/salutations)
- Job Title
- Hire Date/Start Date
- Supervisor/Point of Contact
- Office/Work Location
- Confirm Computer Needs (see above, if applicable)
- Previous Cornell departments (if applicable)
IT Access: Please provide the below information as soon as the new hire’s NetID is established. Please allow up to 10 business days for IT setup whenever possible.
- The above info, if applicable (Name, Position, Start Date, Point of Contact, Computer Needs, etc.)
- NetID of new hire
- NetID of person in role previously, or person in a role with similar access
- Programs needed beyond standard (Windows/Office/Adobe PDF Reader, Zoom, etc.), such as Adobe Acrobat, Filemaker, Visio, MS Project, etc.
- Access to local resources such as File Shares, mailboxes, job specific applications (CISIS, Salesforce, TDX), etc.
Cornell Central Services: Access to many Cornell services are managed by CIT or other central groups, please see below for contact information.
- Canvas: Canvas@Cornell.edu
- KFS/E Shop: Business Service Center
- Peoplesoft: University Registrar
- Phones/Ring Central: NCS Operation Support (via your department Telecom Coordinator)
When a team member departs your area, please provide the individual’s information (NetID, departure date, if they are leaving Cornell or moving to a new position, unit, etc.) to IT as soon as possible in accordance with your unit’s and HR policies. If the departure requires immediate changes, please contact your local HR representative.
- You will not be able to access the email/calendar of departed employees. Be sure to have them forward any messages to another user, a shared EGA (link), or shared location and set up any Out Of Office automated response as appropriate.
- If they are the only owner of a shared storage location (box, teams, etc.) have them transfer ownership to another team member, or consider setting up a Departmental Box Folder.
- This is also a good time to have the computer evaluated for replacement/ordering.