Web Server Overview
ECE faculty, staff, and Phd students can use the department web server for hosting websites related to their research and instructional activities.
Important: To edit the site from off-campus, you must connect to Cornell VPN via instructions here: https://it.cornell.edu/cuvpn
- Course/Research/People sites are editable via SSH or SFTP
- Authentication is with Cornell NetID and password.
- Full instructions with details are below.
- Please submit a helpdesk ticket with any questions about this web hosting service.
Instructions for Editing
To edit your site, you can SSH directly to the server or use an SSH FTP (SFTP) program like FileZilla
Address: people.ece.cornell.edu or courses.ece.cornell.edu or research.ece.cornell.edu
- You can also use your researchgroupname.ece.cornell.edu (e.g. tsg.ece.cornell.edu) if you have requested a custom name.
People Directories: /var/www/people
Course Directories: /var/www/courses
Research Directories: /var/www/research
- Create a local folder in which to save your website files
- Any SFTP client will work. We recommend Filezilla for its cross-platform support. Download and Install FileZilla:
- Launch FileZilla, click File Menu, choose Site Manager
- Click New Site
- Host: people.ece.cornell.edu or courses.ece.cornell.edu or research.ece.cornell.edu
- Protocol: SFTP – SSH File Transfer Protocol
- Logon Type: Normal
- Username: Cornell NetID
- Password: NetID Password
- Click Advanced tab, Set Default remote directory
- People Directories: /var/www/people
- Course Directories: /var/www/courses
- Research Directories: /var/www/research
- Click OK
- Click File menu, choose Site Manager, select the site and click Connect
- On first login, there is a Unknown Host Key prompt; check the box to Always trust this host, add this key to cache, then click OK
- Browse to your folder on the server to download files to the local folder you created.
- Edit the local files in an editor of your choice
- Upload modified files to the server.