CIT and Procurement have updated their policies regarding the purchase of IT Applications, Software, and Services to assist in cost savings and IT governance. The below should assist you in navigating the process. As policies are subject to change, please visit the linked page for a full explanation of the policies and updates.
Statements of Need Overview
Statements of Need guidelines apply to all Software and IT Services (Including Renewals).
Please see the following for a complete list of Statement of Need guidelines.
A statement of need is not required in the below cases:
- Purchase through CU Software
- Faculty Member’s Individual Productivity Use
- Purchased on Sponsored Research (CG) Accounts
Note: A Statement of Need always applies when Regulated Data is involved
Additional Policies and Reviews
In addition to the Statement of Need, CIT may require additional information and review steps.
- Technology Risk Assessment – IT Security Office reviews your request for data security concerns.
- Web Accessibility – Accessibility Office reviews your requests if a website is involved.
- Data Steward Request – If your request involves access to central data like student data or financial data or HR data.
Help and Resources
Form Access: Some CIT forms are limited to Faculty and Staff, please work with your advisor or administrative office to fill out forms.
Form Terminology: The below should assist you in defining the terms asked in the review forms linked above
- ITSG Representative – David Rankine (if Engineering, Bowers, or Tech Campus)
- Regulated Data – https://it.cornell.edu/regulated-data/regulated-data-chart
- Web Front End: Is it accessed via a web browser?
- Hosted Location
- Local: On an Engineering, Bowers, or Tech Campus / ITSG Server in a local server room
- Central: On a CIT server in a campus server room
- Cloud Based: Including Cornell offered Azure/AWS services
- Checklist for Purchasing IT Applications, Software, and Services
- Statement of Need Guidelines
- Statement of Need Form